In a capital of architectural class like Vienna, the town hall couldn’t be anything less than a work of art. The Rathaus, as it is known, looks like an aristocratic palace but is in fact much recent than its look. The reason is that its architect, baron Friedrich Schmidt deliberately chose a historic architectural style that would rhyme with the neighboring Votivkirche (Votive Church). Schmidt was an enthusiast supporter of Neo-Gothic, both in religious as in secular architecture.

The Town Hall of Vienna was built between 1872 and 1883. Hidden from the majestic stone walls there is one of the largest inner gardens in Europe with loan and floral arrangements. The silhouette of the Rathaus is described by the Gothic towers that resemble church spires.

Two impressive halls inside are particularly important. The first is the meeting hall that hosts the regional assembly, a 14 m high room with a chandelier of 3,2 t and a gold decorated ceiling. The second is the Festival Hall, used for balls and important artistic events.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (2 votes cast)

More from Architecture,Austria
Menu
Links